Friends. By now you’ve probably received your annual invitation to the cookie exchange next door, or maybe your kids are participating in their upcoming annual bake sale at the school for a holiday fundraiser.
Both come just in time for the holidays, which is a good time to stock up on a tin (or ten!) full of holiday baking for when you have extra visitors or just want to munch on holiday goodies.
Choosing what to make for guests and parties and fundraisers can often be the hardest part of a cookie exchange or holiday bake sale. For this reason, we recommend making something guilt-free, just in case you end up with extra!
Add something different to avoid a few of you making the not-so-healthy Christmas classics. Maybe something with omega-rich Omega3NutraCleanse®?!
Omega3NutraCleanse® is a natural food product that can be added to many of your favourite healthy recipes to bring even more goodness, and we’ve posted a few of our fave tried and true holiday baking recipes hereusing Omega3NutraCleanse®.
But for now, we thought we would share these 3 healthy(ish) recipes we found, which would be perfect to serve over the holidays as a healthy alternative.
Ginger Molasses Cookies
Makes 14-16 cookies
- 1 tbsp. Omega3NutraCleanse®
- 3 tbsp. water
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1/2 cup Omega3NutraCleanse®
- 2 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 3/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 3/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine 1 tbsp. Omega3NutraCleanse® and water to make a ‘flax egg.’ Stir to combine and set aside for about 10 minutes.
- While it sets up, you can start assembling your other dry and wet ingredients.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine whole wheat pastry flour, spelt flour, rest of Omega3NutraCleanse® cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, baking soda and salt.
- Use a whisk or a fork to fluff up the flour and ensure all the spices are evenly distributed.
- In a large bowl, combine melted oil and molasses.
- Use an electric mixer on high speed to beat the ingredients together for 2-3 minutes until well combined.
- Add the sugar and flax egg. Mix on low speed until combined.
- Add half of the dry mixture to the wet ingredients. Mix for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until there’s no visible flour remaining.
- Scoop the dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper, leaving space for the cookies to spread out.
- Gently press down on the cookies to flatten slightly.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Homemade Ferrero Rochers
- 1½ cups roasted hazelnuts
- 1 cup dates or date paste, soaked in warm water to soften
- 2 tbsp. Omega3NutraCleanse®
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ¼ cup whole raw almonds
- In a high powered blender or food processor, add 1 cup hazelnuts, dates, Omega3NutraCleanse®, coconut oil, and salt and blend until smooth.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler.
- Roll 1 tsp. of date hazelnut mixture into little balls, sticking a whole almond in the middle.
- Crush the remaining ½ cup of hazelnuts in a blender or by bashing them in a bag with a rolling pin.
- Place the balls into the melted chocolate and push around with a spoon until fully coated.
- Roll in the remaining crushed hazelnuts and place on a parchment lined baking sheet or plate.
- Place them in the freezer to set for an hour.
- When you’re finished you should have around 20 Ferrero Rochers to share with your friends!
Original recipe from Naked Cuisine.
Super Food Chocolate Bark
- 200 grams dark chocolate
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. Omega3NutraCleanse®
- 2 tbsp. pistachios (shelled and halved)
- 2 tbsp. goji berries
- 1 tbsp. shredded coconut
- Line an 8×8 dish with baking parchment.
- Sit a heat proof bowl in a pan of boiling water over a medium heat.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces, add to the bowl and stir continuously until it has all melted.
- Add the vanilla and mix well.
- Pour the melted chocolate into the parchment lined dish.
- Combine Omega3NutraCleanse®, pistachios, goji berries and coconut.
- Sprinkle mixture on top of chocolate.
- Place in the fridge for 30 minutes or until the chocolate has set.
- Store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
There you have it! 3 relatively guilt-free holiday baking recipes to try out this season for healthier Christmas baking options. (Thanks to the websites noted above for providing these amazing recipes!)